Friday, August 23, 2013

Yes, you CAN* make money writing!

by Malena Lott

I make good money writing.

Caveat: only a fraction of that income comes from writing books.

Caveat 2: I live in Oklahoma where cost of living is low, so Yay!

I write ad copy, marketing materials, and brand strategy. Coming up with creative ideas for companies can be lucrative. While some literary purists might think writing advertising is "selling out" I saw early on that could be a way I could use my writing skills *and* give myself time to work on my "great American novel."

While I worked in radio, TV and corporations in my 20s, I started a branding firm with a business partner when I was 28 so I could have flexible hours, be a good (sane) mama to my kids. My agent did eventually sell that first novel for a modest advance. Then she sold  my second novel for a better, yet still modest, advance. Then...nothing. Which is kind of crazy since I knew my writing was getting better with each book. Go fig.

My agent finally said I should self-publish a title we both loved. That was Fixer Upper which went on Amazon and Smashwords in 2010. Sales...trickled. I was bummed. But I kept writing. I started Buzz Books USA in February 2011 to publish other people's work, too, because I figured I could combine my passion for marketing and stories all in one. I knew it would take about three years to "grow it up." I pubbed "Life's a Beach" that summer. It sold better than my first, and it was a novella, so it took less time to write. With a catchy title and cover and premise "Law of Attraction and karma meet on the beach" sales started picking up and for two years it was my best-selling digital title. (Now it's Fixer Upper.)

I got my rights back on that first novel, The Stork Reality, and after a year, sales are picking up on it. I wrote a follow-up to Life's a Beach that included characters from all my novels to answer my readers who wanted to know...whatever happened to... in The Last Resort. I include links to my books in the back of each novel. Some people must click on them! And algorithms are a very real thing which I don't understand that much, but love when it works in my favor.

This much I do know: one book does sell another. If they liked one, they will likely buy another. If they didn't like one, they still might give another book a chance. (Readers are awesome that way.)

Because I never stopped writing - even when I doubted myself! - I had a nice backlog of stories including a young adult novel, which became Twin Falls, and two more women's fiction novels, Something New and my latest, Family Charms. My readers are saying with each release they are stronger, which give me the momentum to keep going. Books are cross-selling each other and I love promoting the authors at Buzz.

What's the lesson here? The "takeaway"? Never. Stop. Writing. Build your community, engage with readers and keep believing. Does it take some luck? Yep. I pulled the two Smashwords titles and put them on nook myself two weeks ago and guess what? Fixer Upper was plucked from their database and mentioned in their daily newsletter and sales skyrocketed for a few days and I started seeing a slight uptick in other titles. Then, the wave receded. That's what awareness is. It comes, then it goes away, but over time, people remember. 

Another key to mentally surviving this "side career" - stop comparing yourself to other writers, whether they are tradtionally-pubbed or self-pubbed. I personally know three indie-pubbed authors who quit their day jobs and make buckets of money off their many ebooks. That's a tiny percentage of the authors sphere, but still, don't compare! You'll drive yourself nuts and that could keep you from writing your best work.

Keep going. And good luck. If you believe in it and work hard, you can make some money from writing. How much is up to you and that whole "preparation meeting opportunity" thing.

***

When Malena isn't writing, she's marketing and mothering. She's a Cub Scout mom, dance mom and mom of a new driver. She blogs about zen, creativity and mojo at malenalott.com. 

27 comments:

  1. It all builds--that's one of the great things about ebooks. They're out there for readers to discover either this week or a couple of years from now. Sage advice on comparing ourselves to others, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I am thankful ebooks "stick around" and technology can really be our friend.

      Delete
  2. Yay, Malena! I'm so glad to see your post, both for its encouragement and the reminder not to compare. that truly is the hardest thing of all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. It's taken me awhile to get to this place (mentally and bookshelf wise) and I am happy for those who make the buckets of money. Thanks to how the Internet works, it truly can be any one of us someday.

      Delete
  3. Malena, this was a great post; thanks for sharing! You're right, comparing oneself to others is a horrible pitfall! Bad news bears. And since success as an indie can rely so much on timing, luck, and genre/hook, it's wonderful to remember that this is long-tail stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I think because of the Internet "new to me" is just as good as the "new" especially since it takes time for referrals to happen even with fairly new "stuff", books included.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Malena. I like hearing the whole history of how you came to this zen place.
    I think that is the beauty of indie publishing that things build and even if something isn't a bestseller out of the gates, it still can be later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariella, Yes! It's been interesting to see how well-published big names are actually using the same techniques that indies do in terms of finding a backlist book, charging say .99 for it and then upselling to the new title. So, hey, everyone's doing it. Even trad published "oldies" need awareness boosts and promos, too. It is a bit like the wild wild west still.

      Delete
  5. What inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story, and EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Malena- you are a rock star!! And I love the advice: never stop writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. earn moneyEarn money-2000-5000.com is a website about a very successful on-line store.
    We sell products On-line and show you how we do it. The business plan E-book.Sell on Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  8. earn moneyEarn money-2000-5000.com is a website about a very successful on-line store.
    We sell products On-line and show you how we do it. The business plan E-book.Sell on Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice post thanks to share with us ........... i really appreciate your post....

    Fast ways to make money

    ReplyDelete
  10. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article.
    tjene penge

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your newsletter is the key to making big money online, so the sooner you start, the better. How To Make $100 A Day

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also a teacher and i can understand the how difficult this job is. I always suggest students to have online cheap writing services that can help them to write well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. how to earn money from website visits

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that would be great job for the students. The wonder is you can make money by just writing titles. The titles can be for a website or for a book so for me this is the best opportunity to write best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There has a lot of option in today where you can do your favorite profession and at a time you can earn some like you can write and earn at a time. visit the website to know more how to get quality writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There has plenty of alternative inside nowadays to carry out your chosen career and also at the same time you can make several as you can easily compose and also make at the same time. lit review apa style to learn a lot more getting top quality creating companies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can also join this community for your help. Just join in and make a better concept about it. Multiple data entry typing jobs are waiting for you if you're interested in them. read here if you want to know more about the quality writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There has lots of way which could be a source for money income like this writing could have been a perfect way to earn. click here that helps me a lot on my academic papers writing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are a lot of fresh graduates who are making money by writing the essays online for the students who look here for the new essays for their assignments and that is a legitimate work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so nice post.Its best feedback that can be perfect for writing services online guidance.I would like you to share some more source in future.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes I agree but it takes your mind because today those who have mind can make more money.Your write-ups are good but if you follow http://www.cheapproofreading.net/ you can really learn more.Keep it up and keep sharing more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. THis is the best site to visit. I have to know this that how they maintain this kind of site. So this is so good to read and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete